Estimations say that approximately 10 million people worldwide live with Parkinson’s disease; why are many of them rolling out a Mat and practising Pilates for Parkinson’s to help alleviate symptoms? As there is no cure for Parkinson’s, many Parkinson’s patients are in search of alternative therapies to pair with pharmaceutical medicine to help alleviate their symptoms and give them a better quality of life.
Pilates is one of the alternative treatments that can help Parkinson’s patients. The very heart of Pilates is working on balance, flexibility and core strength through low-impact exercises. These exercises developed by Joseph Pilates can significantly benefit people with Parkinson’s disease.
5 Benefits of Pilates for Parkinson’s
- Improved Balance: With balance and coordination impacted, the risk of falls increases with Parkinson’s. Pilates focuses on strengthening the core muscles and improving balance, which can help reduce the risk of falls and improve overall mobility.
- Increased Flexibility: People with Parkinson’s disease suffer from stiffness, making it difficult to move freely. In Pilates, we stretch and lengthen the muscles to improve flexibility and range of motion.
- Reduced Tremors: Tremors are one of the most common symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. While Pilates cannot cure tremors, it can help reduce their severity and frequency by improving overall muscle control and reducing stress.
- Enhanced Posture: People with Parkinson’s disease become more aware of their bodies and movements symptoms of the disease appear. Pilates movements can bring to light their posture and ergonomics of movement. This increased awareness can help improve posture and reduce the risk of injury.
- Improved Mood: Pilates, as with any exercise, releases endorphins which have a positive effect on mood, reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety and improving overall well-being. You’ll also find out clients to be highly supportive of each other, creating an environment where you can have a laugh, vent or enjoy the company!
Pilates is a safe and effective alternative tool for managing symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. If you or a loved one has Parkinson’s disease and would like to know more about the benefits, please get in touch with us for a complimentary consultation.